MyGarden
Bookmark and Share this MyGarden page

Forum Search

Keyword

Forum

Topic: What would you do with excess tomatoes?

by Anonymous 18 Nov 09, 7 replies : Last Post Sort by:
If you would like to receive email alerts when a reply is posted to this forum thread check this check box

Author Post

264 posts
What would you do with excess tomatoes? 
Posted 18 Nov 09 8:59 PM
I've been going a bit too hard out with the tomato seedlings, so come harvest time (and all growing well) do you have any suggestions to use excess tomatoes?
I'm thinking trading, bottling, drying and maybe making chutney with the extras - but any other suggestions?

3 posts
Re: What would you do with excess tomatoes? 
Posted 20 Nov 09 2:36 PM
Hey there, I made a heap of tomato juice with a steam juicer but I don't know if you can get one of these in nz. Because it uses steam to extract the juice the juice is hot when it comes out so you are able to bottle it. I bottled it into V8 juice bottles which worked perfectly. I then used the left over pulp after the juice was extracted to make tomato paste which I put into the small preserving jars. I would recommend on of these to everyone but as I said I'm not sure if they are available in nz as mine was a gift sent from Finland.

20 posts
Posted 20 Nov 09 4:17 PM
yeah i remember you mentioning the steam juicer in another thread - it sounds pretty cool! do you think the method of making tomato paste would still work with a standard juicer? that said, i didnt even think of juicing them! thanks!

52 posts
Posted 29 Nov 09 10:09 AM
Can't go wrong with tomato paste which can be used for so many things, from indian curries like butter chicken, to italian pasta sauces and pizzas, tomato bread, pasta colouring, soups and stocks etc... I just use a really large pan (lots of surface area to evaporate the water off quickly) and put it outside with a thick metal plate under it and simmer the excess tomatoes away while stirring up from the bottom with a flat wooden spatula every once and a while so it does stick! You can also put an insect protecting cover over it and leave in the sun afterwards to further evaporate - this works well on a hot tin roof!

Then I separate it into portions into plastic containers, give some to friends and neighbours, and freeze some.

20 posts
Posted 29 Nov 09 4:02 PM
thanks rob - i'll have to steal that idea!

13 posts
Posted 1 Dec 09 1:44 AM
I make tomato sauce with mine using my grandmother's recipe. Great with fish and chips, sausages, under cheese on toast, with scambled eggs et c. I have to make 3 or 4 times more than we use as various friends and relatives demand to be kept supplied. It takes 3 or 4 hours a batch but is very satisfying. Rather than type out the recipe here email me on brownmcnz@googlemail.com if you are interested.

6 posts
Posted 2 Jan 10 8:07 AM
tomato soup is great for the freezer:

7 kg tomatoes
2 tablespoons of salt
14 springs parsley
3 teaspoons of pepper
7 cloves of garlic
2 cups of sugar
7 medium onions
250 g of butter
8 table spoons of flour.
Boil together all ingredients except butter and flour until soft.
Strain through a liquidiser. Melt butter add flour mix well. Return tomato mixture

tomato relish and chutney are also very popular.

20 posts
Posted 2 Jan 10 12:19 PM
how long would it last in the freezer? seems like a pretty big yield...

8 results found

Skip Navigation Links     © Copyright 2014 Redweb Limited - Web design & development experts